Sweet pie crust
This recipe is good choice because is easy and deliciously healthy, because you are using wholemeal flour which is a high in potassium and low in sodium, also contains B-group vitamins such as thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), folate and pantothenic acid.
Adding medjool dates as natural sweetener we are getting better vitamins and minerals than refined sugar. Also dates are good source of potassium, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, sugar, fibre and vitamin A.
- ½ cup white plain flour or wholemeal plain flour.
- ¼ cup wheat bran or ¼ cup rolled oat (not instant).
- 10 dates.
- 3 tablespoon water at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Add the flour, dates and wheat bran in a food processor and process into fine crumbs, about 30 seconds. Stop the motor, add the water, and pulse to combine, about 5 (1-second) pulses.
- Pour the crumb mixture into a 17 x 14 x 2.5cm H. deep-dish pie plate* and, using the bottom of a cup or your fingers, press firmly and evenly into the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown around the edges.
- Remove the pie plate to a wire rack and let cool completely before filling, about 45 minutes.
* I used a Non-stick loose-based tartlet tins.