One way to incorporate fibre and more nutrients to our diet come from whole grains and vegetables.
In this recipe the courgette, zucchini or summer squash have soluble fibre in the skin, which slows down digestion, stabilising blood sugar and insulin levels. Also this type of fibre helps prevent constipation and relieves irritable bowel symptoms.
Additionally, courgette provides useful amounts of vitamin C and significant levels of potassium, which is key to controlling blood pressure.
- ¼ cup low fat plain yogurt.
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cup wholemeal plain flour (200 gr).
- 150 gr zucchini, grated.
- oregano (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180ºC and grease and flour, I used a silicone cake case.
- Whisk yogurt, eggs and oil to blend. In a separate bowl mix your flour, zucchini, oregano and baking powder. Stir in your yogurt mixture and stir just until blended.
- Scrape into prepared cake pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a tester inserted in the centre of the bread comes out clean. After cooled for 10 minutes, turn the bread out to cool completely.