Puy lentils and quinoa salad
I love learning new recipes and sharing them with my family. So this time, the selected dish was a delicious salad that my husband liked a lot.
I am pretty sure that you will keep this recipe in your cookbook too because this recipe contains ingredients that help your mood and boost your inmune system.
You will get Tryptophan from the legumes, an essential amino acid which is precursor of your happy hormona, Serotonina and also your sleep hormone, Melatonin. Both are important for your good moods.
Also this recipe is rich in vitamin C and beta-carotene, both of them are important to boost your inmune system. Beside, you will get all the essential amino acids from the quinoa. So this recipe is a good option if your vegetarian or vegan.
- 1 cup puy lentils (don’t pre-soak).
- 1/2 cup quinoa.
- 1 onion,
- 1 red pepper, diced.
- 2 handfuls of spinach leave or watercress.
- 1 handful parsley, chopped.
- 1 clove garlic, crushed.
- zest and juice of 1 lemon.
- 1/4 cup olive oil.
- 1/2 tablespoon of mustard powder or grain mustard.
- 1 teaspoon Kankun Jalapeño Sauce (optional).
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional).
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).Cook the lentils in water with an onion cut in half. Don’t add salt to the water. Allow to cool and remove the onion.
- Cook the quinoa in 1 cup of water in a pan. Add paprika (optional). Tip out into a large bowl to cool so it doesn’t over cook and go to soggy.
- Once the lentils and quinoa are cool mix them together adding the parsley, garlic, red pepper and mustard. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Taste and season as desired.
- In a separate bowl, toss the spinach or watercress in a little olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and Kankun Jalapeños Sauce. Plate in a serving bowl.
- Top the spinach with the lentil and quinoa mixture. Serve.
You can add 1/4 cup of pumpkin seed or walnuts (roughly chopped) or your preferred nut or seed to your salad.