Kale salad with spices
Sometimes we are running out of food during our activities, because we spent a lot of time playing out. One day, I was starving in the shopping centre and saw a snack “kale chips”, I read the food labelling and I bought it.
I knew about its health benefits but I have never tried kale before. From this day I try to add this amazing vegetable in our daily basis.
Kale is high in fibre and water content, both of which help to prevent constipation and promote regularity and a healthy digestive tract. It also contains vitamin K (plays role blood clotting), vitamin C (promotes iron absorption), vitamin A (promotes healthy skin) and B vitamins, which are essential for the release of energy from food.
Also this green leafy vegetable is an excellent source of minerals such as manganese and copper. Did you know that manganese is very important for everyday skin health? Here you can read some of its benefits:
- Manganese is a required co-factor for an enzyme called prolidase, which is in turn necessary to make collagen as a structural component of skin.
- It also functions as an antioxidant in skins cells and other cell types.
- It helps protect skin against oxygen-related damage and also against damage from ultraviolet (UV) light.
Why not try this easy to make kale salad recipe and use it as a side for your fish or meat dishes, or like I did here, on your vegetarian tortillas or wraps.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- 4 large handfuls of kale, stalks removed. (washed)
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed.
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds.
- Pinch salt.
- Pinch ground black pepper.
- Pinch Kankun Chiplote Sauce (optional).
- 60 ml boiling water.
- In a large saucepan warm the coconut oil over a low heat to melt.
- Add the garlic, salt, black pepper and mustard seeds. Allow to warm through for 1-2 minutes before adding the kale. Stir all the ingredients.
- Add the boiling water and increase the heat slightly. Cook the mixture out for 5 minutes, gently stirring all the time. Once ready all the water should have been absorbed and vegetable cooked through.
- Add a pinch of Kankun Chiplote Sauce (optional).
- Serve with your favourite meal.