BBQ Bean Burgers
Legumes are excellent source of protein. They provide other nutrients that also are found in seafood, meats, and poultry, such as iron and zinc. They are excellent sources of dietary fibre and of nutrients such as potassium and folate that also are found in other vegetables.
Legumes are a cheap and they count towards your recommended five daily portions of fruit and vegetables. However, they are limited in methionine, an essential amino acid so you should combine them with grains, nuts or seeds to get the your essential amino acids.
I have learned this recipe during my course and want to share it with you because is delicious and a wholesome way to add legumes to your daily meals.
The burgers are versatile, you can eat them warm or at room temperature, so they are perfect for your healthy lunch box or picnic.
- 2 cans organic red kidneys beans in water, drained and rinsed.
- 1 cup quinoa flakes.
- 1 medium onion.
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrots.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted).
- 4 garlic crushed.
- 1/2 teaspoon Kankun Chiplote Sauce or mild chilli powder (optional).
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika.
- 1 teaspoon cumin.
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder or english mustard.
- 4 teaspoon tamari sauce.
- 2 tablespoon tomate purée.
- pinch freshly ground black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Gentle sweat the onion and garlic in a pan with a little of coconut oil, for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl mash the the beans with your hands or with a potato masher. Add the onion, garlic, quinoa flakes and grated carrots, mix well.
- In other bowl combine the Kankun Sauce or chilli powder, smoked paprika, cumin, black pepper, tamari sauce, mustard and tomate purée. Add the spice mix into the mashed beans and mix well.
- Season to taste with freshly black pepper.
- Moisten your hands under the tap and form 8 to 10 burgers.
- Warm 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Brush one side of the burgers lightly with coconut oil. Arrange the burgers, oiled side down, on a baking tray and bake until slightly brown on the first side (around 10 minutes).
- Flip over the burgers and brush with coconut oil the second side and bake for few minutes.