Baked vegetables and leftovers
I know how important is having a meal plan for the week but sometimes we have some extra events and voila we have to improvise making a healthy dish with a few ingredients.
I made this recipe with leftovers and remaining vegetables. Our kids loved it and that is for me the main goal.
We have got everything from this wholesome recipe: vegetables, wholegrain and proteins. How easy is cooking with leftovers and turning them into something surprising and delicious.
Remember you can make it wholesome while keeping it super simple!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or your favourite oil.
- 1/2 cup brown rice (cooked).
- 1 courgette grated.
- 1 carrot grated.
- 1 leek, chopped.
- 200 g broccoli, finely chopped.
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped and crushed.
- 6 organic free range eggs.
- Pinch salt.
- Pinch ground black pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Grease a rectangular oven dish or bake (22cmx28cm).
- In a large saucepan warm the coconut oil and gently sweat the leek for 5 minutes. Then add the carrot, courgette, broccoli and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Set aside and cool the vegetables before adding the rice and eggs.
- Add the cooked rice to the sautéed vegetables and mix.
- Beat together the eggs, season with pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour the beaten eggs over the vegetables and rice. Mix together.
- Pour the batter into a greased oven dish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the top feels firm to the touch and a skewer comes out clean from the centre.
- Serve with your favourite salad.
*Cooking time depends on your oven.